img

Narrow escape for very brave little boy.

This is four year old Collings from Malawi with his father. Collings was out playing with his friends when he accidentally swallowed a hooked nail someone had given him. Soon after, he began to have breathing difficulties. His Dad managed to get him to the Kamuzu Central Hospital in Lilongwe, nearly two hours away, but when Collings arrived at the hospital he was in a very bad condition and not able to breathe.

Giving talented surgeons the optimum environment for them to serve humanity is such a privilege, especially when we hear of the many ways in which they are saving children's lives long after the Kids OR transformation team have gone home.

Surgeon Dr Bip Nandi whisked Collings into the operating room straight away and managed to remove the nail using specialist medical equipment. Without this operation, undoubtedly Collings would not be here today.

Kids OR installed the paediatric operating room at this hospital and filled it with all the equipment requested by Dr Nandi and his team. Giving talented surgeons the optimum environment for them to serve humanity is such a privilege, especially when we hear of the many ways in which they are saving children's lives long after the Kids OR transformation team have gone home.

Happily, Collings made a full recovery and went home to his family and a bright future. We believe every child - no matter where they live - should have access to life-saving surgery.

Share article