The impact we made in 2021
We are immensely proud of the work that the team at KidsOR does every day to ensure children globally can access the timely surgery they deserve, whether that's by installing and equipping Operating Rooms, training the next generation of paediatric surgeons or campaigning for and of behalf of children.
Our sustainable model has proven to work, and 2021 was our most successful year to date:
- We installed 23 Operating Rooms, bringing our total to 50 life-saving surgical centres of excellence, 16 of which were installed in partnership with Smile Train.
- Our work has facilitates 50,000 operations with an estimated economic benefit of $1.5 billion.
- We have awarded 22 scholarships for trainee surgeons to specialise in paediatric surgery, 3 of which are with our partners Smile Train .
- We launched PAPSEP , the first ever pan-African e-learning platform for paediatric surgery in association with RCSI, COSECSA and WACS.
- We installed the first-ever dedicated children's Operating Room in a refugee setting in Kakuma Refugee Camp
- We delivered on behalf of the Scottish Government 22.9 million pieces of PPE to nine countries in Africa to battle the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, as well as 300 oxygen concentrators.