Graphic and Motion Designer
JOB TITLE: Graphic and Motion Designer
REPORTS TO: Digital Communications Manager
HOURS OF WORK: Full time, 35 hours per week
LOCATION: Based in our Edinburgh office
SALARY: £25,000 - £30,000 per annum
About Kids Operating Room (KidsOR)
We believe in a world where every child has equal access to safe surgeryThat doesn't seem like such a big ask. Every child has a right to life and that shouldn't be taken away by an injury or illness that can be easily fixed. Children who battle cancer and undergo chemotherapy shouldn't get to the end of that process only to be denied the surgery that will offer them the chance of survival. Children who break an arm or a leg shouldn't live the rest of their lives in disability.Babies who need simple procedures in the first hours of life shouldn't be left to die, and children born with urological conditions shouldn't be denied an education because they cant access the simple operation they need.Our vision is for a world where every child is treated equallyOur mission is to support local doctors, through the provision of training and infrastructure, to ensure they can use their incredible talents to care for their nations children. The number of children we need to reach is overwhelming. They urgently need our help.
Provide dedicated, specialist facilities and equipment for children's surgery in low resource settingsSupport existing surgical teams to deliver safe surgery for childrenMonitor, collate and understand our impact on surgical outcomesAdvocate on the global plight of children denied access to safe surgery
What we do
KidsOR is a UK based charity that works with partner hospitals in low and middle income countries to develop high quality, safe surgical services for children.We work closely with regional Surgical Colleges, the Global Initiative for Children's Surgery, partner NGOs and national Departments of Health to identify where the existing and/or training children's surgeons are. We then work with those people and their teams to ensure they have all the equipment they need to properly care for local children.We also provide scholarships for children's surgery, helping strengthen local workforces and, in some countries, helping develop the first ever children's surgeons.
Understanding our impact
We are proud to partner with University California San Francisco, which carries out independent assessments of our units. In partnership with the local hospitals, we record every single operation and look at the wider impact on the child and family.In refugee settings, we work with the University of Oxford to monitor and evaluate the impact of providing local care to displaced populations.This allows us to assess the real impact of providing safe surgical services and also the true geographic reach of that impact.It also allows KidsOR to look at the economic benefit to a country or region of having high quality surgical services for children.
How we work
Our co-founders, Garreth and Nicola Wood, are actively involved in supporting our charitable activities and are part of our Trustee board, which provide ongoing governance and guidance.Garreth and Nicola founded Kids Operating Room with the vision of a world where every child has equal access to safe surgery. They firmly believe that access to surgery is a basic human right and that every child should receive urgent healthcare when they need it.Our CEO, David Cunningham, is a global leader in developing charitable programs for children's health and has provided leadership to healthcare projects in the UK and across the world. David is a highly regarded charity regulation expert and is a board member of the UK Fundraising Regulator and a member of the regulators Standards Committee.Day to day operational activities are split between three directors who manage teams based in Nairobi, Dundee (our Global Operations base) and Edinburgh where our administrative office is located.
We have a range:
- A flexible, friendly work environment
- Company contribution pension scheme
- Free health insurance upon completion of probation period Sector leading policies for those on maternity and parental leave Death in service benefit
- An extra day of annual leave on your birthday
- Global travel opportunities
Our commitment to inclusion
Everyone benefits when people can bring their whole selves to work. Whether you're a volunteer, a prospective employee or a full time member of staff, at KidsOR we want you to feel involved in all aspects of our work and to have amazing opportunities during your time with us – regardless of your background.We're working hard to build a KidsOR team that reflects the communities we serve – we know diversity makes us stronger as an organisation and more effective in what we do.We welcome people regardless of age, disability, gender identity, marital status, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and whether you're pregnant or on family leave.
About the role
We are looking for a passionate all-round Graphic and Motion Designer to support the creative and artwork process across a wide variety of both digital and print-based projects.You will produce brilliantly engaging multichannel designs for a variety of campaigns. The role will help to bring KidsOR brand and creative platform to life and to showcase KidsOR’s life-saving and life-changing work for children through exciting, innovative and audience-led design work.Not just highly creative, you must have supreme attention to detail and be well organised to be able to jump between projects as necessary. As an exceptionally talented graphic and motion designer, you will add your own magic to our team and deliver great visual solutions.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Design visually engaging content across multiple channels and purposes
- Translate brand guidelines and available assets into best-in-class communication and marketing materials that meet the needs of our audiences
- Ensure our visual identity is applied in a confident, consistent and impactful way across all touch points, identifying areas of opportunity where necessary
- Design and produce, in multiple media formats, brochures and publications, fundraising appeals, invitations, presentations, adverts, web and social media content
- Create motion graphics for video and edit and subtitle videos for social content
- Generate drafts and mockups of proposed design for interval review and make revisions as requested
- Select appropriate images from the digital media library, and retouch as required, ensuring we represent a diverse and inclusive range of photography across all our communications
- Work with colleagues across the organisation to ensure in-depth understanding of briefs and scope of requirements to produce high quality creative concepts through to finished artwork that meet project and brand objectives
- Liaise with external printers to ensure deadlines are met and material is printed to the highest quality
- Design and create templates for materials such as proposals, reports, presentations for use across the organisation
Person SpecificationKnowledge & Skills
- Expert skills in industry standard tools such as Adobe Creative Suite (specifically but not restricted to Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects and Premiere Pro CC).
- Ability to produce a wide range of materials, from animated digital graphics to templates for users who do not have access to or knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Degree level in graphic design or equivalent experience in a comparable role Good copywriting skills
- Working knowledge of Apple OS
- Creative flair, originality and be able to contribute ideas Exceptional eye for detail
- Positive attitude of perseverance and innovation Professional and friendly approach
- Proactive with drive and enthusiasm to carry out projects to conclusion
- The ability to work under pressure is important as you will have to work to deadlines The ability to work as part of a team, plus take ownership and initiative
How to apply
Please send your CV and a short portfolio of your work and please put Graphic and Motion Designer as the subject.
Applications will be considered as and when they are received, with a closing date of Tuesday 12th of October at 5pm.Please note in line with GDPR law, all personal documents (CV's, Covering Letters, etc.) are deleted and destroyed as soon as the applicable position has been filled.
Reference ID: Kids Operating Room - Graphic and Motion Designer
Application deadline: 12/10/2021
COVID-19 considerations:Mask wearing, regular sanitisation, meetings by appointment only, reduced numbers in office, social distancing.